From:
milburn1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:08:01 -0700
Thank you all SO much for your input!  My initial thinking was also that it
was the uvula; however, since mother said ped said epiglottis, I took it at
face value.  She is going to double check with ped today, since after
looking at a few pictures of  bifid uvulas, she does think this looks most
like what she is seeing.  I am hoping to see them sometime soon, but my babe
has a very high fever since last night and I have no idea what my time
/safety issues are now going to be.

The cup feeding suggestion was to avoid any nipple confusion/preference if
she decided to pump for a few days instead; she is *very* committed to
breastfeeding and is hesitant to use a (contact) nipple shield even.  She is
using the (hobbit) shells which seem to helping; treating herself with
gentian violet, baby with nystatin, doing the diet and probiotics.  <Kathy,
would those be the right shells or should she try some therashells or
something else?>  She is also using the Bactoban, I believe.  I'll confirm
to make sure this is what she is using...

She is going to send me pictures if she can get them; I will also try to
take some when I see her.  We assessed for a short frenulum and didn't find
that, baby has great tongue mobility which is probably adding to the
problem.  ;-/  Deeper latch and changing postions do not help, and she is
afraid that if she does consistantly use another position that it will
damage more of her nipple(s) and then not be able to nurse at all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone, for offering support and
information.  We are talking a few times a day, but since she is not local
to me (an hour and a half a way) it makes it challenging to see her
frequently like I would prefer.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress....

Warmly,
Tallis  :)