From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:48:41 -0500
Hi Terri,
Sadly, I am all too familiar with your scenario; renovations and all. This
is no excuse, but I'm sure all staff are feeling similar stress from the
increased workload, shipping moms to a surgical unit, and the renovations.
Here are some ideas: develop a little handout about bottles/supps. I have a
little blurb on my regular handout, which is at work, but contact me if
you want to see what I have. If you get to see all or most moms, or just the
ones you are working with, you can draw their attention to that in a
non-threatening way.
Depending on your relationship with most staff, and with mgmt, you could
make a little comment at the next meeting or send emails if you use those,
to just make a friendly reminder about supplementation, mentioning perhaps
that you've noted more breast refusal after supps and other strategies that
might be tried first.
If you teach prenatal classes or someone else does, this should be discussed
so the moms have some anticipatory guidance and strategies, and have a heads
up that they will have to be pro-active in the mgmt of their own bf.
Just try to keep plugging away, and I would relax on the studying. Haven't I
seen you on lactnet awhile? I am sure you have the knowledge and skills to
pass the exam.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC - a veteran LC in the trenches
Mississippi USA