From:
"Nancy L. Kramer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:49:10 -0800
I find that when you call a mom (or she calls you) and you listen to her
story and then offer appropriate help, in those instances where you follow
up a few days later and find that she's talked to half the world since the
initial call and in many cases has quit bf, it is because she initially
contacted you for permission to quit.  When she doesn't hear you say,
"Well, I guess bf isn't for you" she tries again until she either hears
what she wants to hear or just says to heck with it and quits anyway. One
of my first calls was from a mom like that, and in my inexperience it took
me 45 minutes to find out she was "only giving the baby one bottle (of abm)
at night and only two or three during the day." I finally flat out asked
her if she wanted to continue breastfeeding, nicely of course. She quickly
responded, "No."  IMNSHO, case closed. I've since learned that one of my
first steps is to find out what the mom's goals are and work from there.

Sorry to sound so abrupt tonight.

Nancy Kramer