From:
Vicky York <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:33:43 -0800
Rachel, thank you for such a well-written and sweet post. Your comment about
giving birth and then not being able to nurse leaving a void is so true. As
a postpartum doula I've worked with so many families in which the grandma
confessed that she tried to nurse but "failed" and still feels that regret
some 30 years later, feeling she let her baby down. I have told some that
they didn't fail, society failed them, formula marketers and the docs who
were influenced by them sabotaged them. Some have more luck and some have
more knowledge. But no mother fails as every one of them wants the very best
for their babies, and many were in their 20's and already feeling the
effects of families splitting up and living far away.  With both of my
babies, after a few months, when my breasts shrunk to their pregnant size, I
thought my milk had dried up. My husband believed large breasts equaled more
milk and insisted on supplementing with formula. The early postpartum
hemorrhage and 3 days in hospital for transfusion, pumping with a pump that
looked like a bicycle horn and held a tablespoon didn't help my beginning.
To this day, 41 years later, it grates on me that I was so close to success,
and too ignorant to know LLLI could have helped. So I sympathize with those
grandma's who speak sadly about not being able to nurse. It's amazing to me
how this sticks with a woman. It has provided much of the passion I feel for
wanting to do everything possible to help new mothers breastfeed their
babes.

Vicky York, CPD, IBCLC
Postpartum Care Services
Portland, OR