From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 14:34:00 -0400
Hi.  I did an archive search, but I still have some questions. For first 2
weeks breastfeeding went very well. Baby gained a pound, nipples not sore,
engorgement has passed. Now mom is describing severe breast pain at night
right after each feeding and last for about an hour. Deep pain, pins and
needles and burning.  Does not hurt at all until after the feeding. During
the day she stills has some pain, but it is not near as bad and is a
different sensation. She nurses lying down at night. I read about ductal
cramping, which I am not sure what that is.  I also read about rapid
refilling of the ducts and ductal thrush and vasospasms.  Would any of
these cause severe pain at night and not during the day?  She has tried 800
mg of motrin before bed but that has not helped.

The other interesting thing is she has a vey prominent blood vessel on both
breasts (upper/outer quadrant) like the way a vessel looks when you draw
blood.  She did not have any pain with her first breastfed baby.  Any
thoughts?  Her LC said she had never heard anything like this in 25 years.
Thanks agian for your time.

Christine Lichte, LLL Leader, CBE, Oct. 17th is almost here!