Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 21:17:22 -0600
>1.  Is it possible that her supply will not come up and stay up because of
>her missed opportunity to establish good supply in those first 4 1/2 weeks?
>Could it be lack of prolactin receptors established early on?  Will
>Domperidone be less effective if prolactin receptors are not abundant?

"missed opportunity"

I have had two mothers whose supplies were not well established within the
first few weeks.  With pumping and breast compression throughout the
feedings, both had full milk supplies by 3 months. I must say that I was
surprised that such a low supply could rebound so fully. They began
supplementing early on, but there were "leaps" in supply throughout the 3
months, then all at once there was a big leap and they had the milk. And
this was without medication.

Never say "never."

The domperidone will most likely help in this case, especially since "Now 2
weeks later, her supply has come way up."

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]