From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 17:57:08 -0400
Hi all

Cindy wrote in response to Debi's hypothetical question:
> WIC gives mom free formula, too bad they wont give moms free
>pumps.......
>--

Actually, WIC only gives enough formula to feed a baby up to about 10
pounds. After that, the mom has to pay for whatever additional formula she
needs for that baby. And many WIC clinics DO give moms free pumps--at least
hand pumps, and I know of more than a few that will let a mom use an
electric pump as long as they are available.

And remember we aren't only talking about formula costs here, either.
There's the extra doctor bills, as well as lost work time, etc etc etc to
factor in.

And then at least one of the major pump companies (and my guess is that
others do so as well) have grant programs for moms who need pumps and can't
afford them.

And then there is also the "handy" "manual" pumps we have at the end of our
arms as well.

This whole ethics bit is a slippery slope, eh?

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC
Huntingdon, Tennessee