From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2012 01:53:24 +1000
Hi Pat,
Yes, the term for this very old technique was coined by Danner and Cerutti
in or about 1984. This hand position was certainly known in the 1940s, for
babies who tended to slip off, whether premature or not. It was to support
the baby's face, to prevent slipping off.

A mother who participated in research of mine mentioned being shown it in
the early 1940s and two nurses who graduated as MCH nurses in or about 1946
mentioned a similar hand position. I was taught the technique in 1965, as my
daughter was dosing off to sleep at the breast - which was because she was
wasn't brought to me till the four hours was up and she'd screamed for 45
minutes. Back then, mothers were powerless! By the time the Womanly Art of
Breastfeeding arrived from America, I had iatrogenic lactation failure. (The
book and letters from Marian Tompson helped me turn things round.)

Yes, Pat, I agree - look at each dyad as individuals and work with what they
can do, and do less "management". Otherwise it can make the whole process
like a production line, the Taylorist approach of "scientific mothering" of
the early and middle 20th century, when timing and weighing dominated.

Virginia
in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Pat Young wrote:
I think the Dancer hand position came about when Sarah (?) Danner and Dr
Ceruti found it useful to support the breast for premies. It wasn't for
everyone, just special circumstances :-)    "football" hold is one I'm not
crazy about,  It just doesn't sound comfy, cozy.  I'm sure moms wouldn't
have nursed thru eons of time if it wasn't comfortable.  Using set terms and
positioning is part of the "scientification" of breastfeeding.  Goes along
with pre & post weights to measure amounts and scheduling.  Dr Smilie said
breastfeeding is a dance between mother and baby and that so doesn't fit in
with science :-)  Pat in SNJ  plowing thru the files on breastfeeding
"management".  Don't you just love that the medical profession has to
"manage" breastfeeding, LOL.