From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:46:10 EDT
I just wanted to share an uplifting, positive story with everyone.
Yesterday when I was making LC rounds at the hospital, I went into the room
of a Vietnamese woman.  She spoke very little English and her husband was
there and could translate.
The first thing I see is several bottles of formula and the father in the
process of giving a bottle.  I introduced myself and then asked if she was
planning to breastfeed.  The husband said yes but she had no milk yet (the
baby was 28 hour old and had received all bottles so far).  I then asked the
mother to express her breast so she could see the milk.  The husband chimed
in that the baby would also need bottles at night so I explained the need for
frequent emptying of the breast to tell it how much to make or the supply
would disappear.  Meanwhile the expression on mom's face when she saw her own
milk was priceless.  She was intrigued.  We tried to interest the baby but
she was too full of the other stuff so I told them I would be back.
A couple hours later I came back to find the baby nursing beautifully and a
very proud mom beaming at her baby.  When the baby slid off, with that
totally satisfied look, the mom again expressed her milk out and smiled.
I wish all my days were like this, but I'll take them whenever they come and
keep trying to increase the positive outcomes.
Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston, MA