From:
Julie Graves Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 16:08:30 +0000
first, thanks, Dr. Kathy D, for the post on hospitals - you are so correct,
and I found over and over that parents who had prepared a consent form for
the hospital stay were intimidated by nurses - who really think of the
babies as theirs - it has always been a constant struggle for me to remind
everyone at the hospital that hospitals don't practice medicine - there is
no such thing as hospital standard orders - every patient must have orders
from an admitting MD - but over and over, my orders were not followed.  I
could go on....

but on a positive note - yesterday I went for my dental cleaning and took 2
1/2 year old Caroline - she watched with interest then asked to have her
teeth cleaned.  The hygienist and dentist were amazed as she sat perfectly
still for a full cleaning and flossing - afterwards, I asked if our
all-night-nursing was causing problems with her teeth - the dentist said -
"oh, so that's why she's so bright and behaves so well" - and went on to
say that I shouldn't worry about the ADA statement - her teeth were fine.
Julie Graves Moy, MD, MPH
Austin, TX