From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:41:20 -0800
I've seen a few cases where a surrogate / biological mother jumpstarts the baby with breastfeeding and/or pumping.  The surrogate situation is similar to an open adoption.

Hand expression is good for colostrum since we are talking about claiming small amounts without waste but direct breastfeeding would of course be far better.  Sometimes everyone agrees to a day or two or three for first feedings at the breast.  The bio mom must "wean" from milk production in some way so it makes good sense to suggest with confidence that pumping allows a more natural reduction of milk while launching the newborn.  Once that idea is accepted it's easier to consider direct breastfeeding if only for a few days to transition.  If colostrum is truly valued you might make headway explaining the physical challenge of collection and the importance of claiming every drop through direct breastfeeding.

It's tough on both "moms."  Obviously it can be difficult for the biological mother to nurse a baby she will not "mother" throughout childhood.

I know one case in which two men adopted with an open arrangement.  The biological mother moved in to nurse for around 4 months, transitioning to complete pumping (and separation) by the end of that period.  Pumped milk continued for some time after that and the fathers were extremely enthused and supportive of everything it took to maximize mother's milk for their baby.

I hope you will update the list as this case unfolds!

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City USA
Thuwal KSA

Does anyone have
information about surrogates pumping for the baby they give
birth
to?  Induced lactation will not be an option due to prior breast
cancer in the
bio mother.  I doubt wet-nursing will appeal to the bio
parents, but I
 will mention it.  I suppose the process would be similar to
expressing/pumping
 for a baby in the nicu, but (if all goes well) the infant
will be
full-term and healthy.  Hand expression would be best for collection
of
 colostrum, right?

Any information or wisdom appreciated!!!

Jessica
 Claire
LLLL in Los Angeles**********