From:
Debi Neverman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:37:24 -0400
Yesterday I had a consult from our ED, sounded typical 6 week post partum
Mom, need answers to breastfeeding and medications. The surprise was the
family had just arrived the day before from Macedonia where she had given
birth in a refugee camp. The family did not speak English, and the
interperter was unavailable. Assessing the Mom and baby was simple,
communicating another story. After finding the medications not a problem
and watching all the interactions with family and ED personnel, I made
a "universal" decision. I placed the baby into Mom's arms and the smile on
her face, then tears, then laughter as the baby went to breast, was a
language we all understood! What a delightful and humbling experience! My
questions to all is....I know virtually nothing of her culture. Can anyone
shed any light on the culture, specifcally child care, for us? So very
interesting watching Mom, and other women of the family, swaddle and care
for baby and Mom. Any input would be great! TIA Debi