From:
Pascoes in Dubai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:42:54 +0400
I am running behind here but what struck me about this ad was these 2
sentences..
he U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently allowed the safe
addition of ARA and DHA -- two important long-chain fatty acids found
naturally in mothers' milk, to infant formula.
and
A number of studies indicate breastfed babies may have a mental and visual
advantage over bottle-fed babies.  This may be due, in part, to two
important fatty acids found naturally in mother's milk -- ARA and DHA.
Recognizing this potential benefit for bottle-fed babies, last spring the
FDA approved the inclusion of ARA and DHA into infant formula.

Now I think this constitutes a pretty serious error. On the one hand they
say the FDA allowed the new addition, which is true, then later they say the
FDA approved it.
My memory of Valerie’s and Marsha’s posts and the FDA site
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-inf22.html make this statement untrue and
misleading.

Meg Kingsley IBCLC
Dubai UAE