From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:13:36 -0500
Ilene Fabisch tells of a head-banging day, where the comments from her RN-coworkers are subversive to the happily-breastfeeding dyad.

And we're only hearing the comments they were willing to share with the IBCLC!  Imagine the sorts of commentary that went into mom's ears alone ... or, to other co-workers who were perceived to share the viewpoint.  Yikes.

An excellent suggestion was made that the hospital seek Baby-Friendly status, where the 18-required-hours of BF training would help other health care providers see how their comments are (a) clearly not evidence-based, and (b) disruptive at best; destructive at worst.  But that means, of course, that you have to get your institution to *first agree* to go for BFHI-designation.  Aye:  there's the rub.  How do you convince recalcitrant staff/administrators that you want to embark upon a program that will show them how recalcitrant they are?

I'd like to suggest an intermediate approach first -- dare I say, a softer one?  Carol Melcher and the California Perinatal Services Network pioneered the SOFT POrogram -- originally designed to get *resistant staff* to better assist mothers and babies immediately post-partum.  The idea is to promote immediate skin-to-skin -- no matter what feeding choice has been mentioned by the mother.  This helps *all* babies transition from the womb, and has the benificent effect of allowing babies to self-attach and BF in the first hour.  See http://lomalindahealth.org/for-health-professionals/perinatal-services-network/for-patients-and-visitors/soft.html for more info.

ILCA adapted this theme, with support from Carol Melcher's exemplary colleagues, for World Breastfeeding Week 2007.  The resulting slogan was "Welcome Baby Softly;" an entire kit of materials was devised to promote the idea.  For more info see https://www.associationhome.com/ilca//products/tnt_products.cfm

I am doing an in-service in my own hospital tomorrow on Welcoming Baby Softly.  What I like about it is that it is *very* easy to describe and teach.  I am getting my big toe in the Door of Resistance ... if I had to wait for BFHI-designation first, I'd be waiting an awful long time at that door.

The Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLCWyndmoor, PA, USA