From:
Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 16:59:53 -0800
Dear Listmoms and Members, I have also been thinking about code compliance. I am the breastfeeding coordinator for our local WIC project. I believe this program is preventative medicine at it's finest. I also know that WIC is probably the biggest single purchaser of infant formula. Our project's breastfeeding initiation rate is hovering around 80%. (Duration is not what we'd like, but we're working on that.) I know I'm helpful, and I know that our office helps mommies who would not otherwise nurse. Yet, when I applied for recertification last week I started wondering if my job itself is contrary to the code. We have both Medela and Ameda products in our office. There are no formula company pictures or literature anywhere. Some clients have expressed surprise that WIC provides formula, because our approach is that nursing is normal, and formula is available if challenges and barriers overwhelm a mom. Until recently, my biggest worry was about Evenflo
 buying Ameda. I'm very interested in your collective opinion(s). Thanks.
Rowena Tucker IBCLC
Bryan, Texas, USA