From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 21:40:43 -0500
As usual, my husband had to put in his 0.02 ml.  He told me I better learn to not
contradict anyone ever.  Since our scope of practice says we cannot contradict a health
care practitioner, I can't ever really contradict anyone in coversation at all, until I'm sure
they are not a health care practitioner or won't ever become one.  I might not even be
able to contradict our son when he wants his third cookie, just in case he decides he
wants to be a health care practitioner and someone could report me after I have retired
to retroactively strip me of my IBCLC status.  Lest you think that is not possible, I know
of a Peace Corps volunteer who was retroactively early terminated after he had
completed his service for violating a Peace Corps rule two days after he had finished his
service.  In fact, its not even sure he did violate a rule, but it was the "appearance of
having violated a rule".   It didn't matter that he was no longer a Peace Corps volunteer.
Who knows?  It might happen to us.

And we should all take note that IBCLE does state on our website that we are health care
practitioners.  We may not even be able to contradict ourselves.  We really shouldn't ever
say anything at all because someone might actually note that we have learned something
new and said something different as a result of our new knowledge and by contradicting
something we previously said and have our certification removed.

Instead of hands-off consultation, we could have a silent consultation.   Commune with
the mother mentally and will her to have a terrific breastfeeding relationship with her
baby.

Best regards, Susan Burger.