From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 20:22:34 -0600
Talked to a mom last week who at 2 weeks had mastitis. Was 4 weeks when
we spoke last week and had a swollen area near her nipple that was
"unbelievably painful." I rec. hot packs and nurse or pump and watch
for signs of mastitis. Sure enough, a couple hours later she calls back
with a temp and feels horrible. She get antibx and I call her the next
day. She's feeling better but the breast still really hurts. There's
that nagging voice that's saying "absess" and I tell her if it doesn't
improve significantly in 1-2 days it needs to be ultrasounded. She
starts feeling bad that night . She's seen by the doc the next day and
told "no absess" by sight and palpation, but no US. Gets night sweats
and has pus coming out. Docs not impressed. Goes back in 4 days later
and another doc says "It's getting better" even though it still really
hurts. Mom says she's having night sweats and doc says "Check your temp
when that happens cause it could be an absess." Mom loses it and
demands an US. Told they are all booked up today, come back tomorrow.
She loses it again and they "fit her in" (and let her now it too).

Anyone want to guess what they found?

I'm getting so tired of this.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Where they should no better, but they don't