From:
Sanna-Mari Tonteri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:56:46 +0300
From:    "G. Hertz"
# her frozen supply and has found that it has a metallic smell and
taste. #

Dear  Gail Hertz

If the baby doesn't seem to mind the metallic taste/smell, then I
don't see any problem :-) .

This information is really scientific, not, lol, but I share it
anyway. My milk tasted and smelled like iron for about  4 months pp. I
first thought it was due to iron supplements I was taking, but then
the smell disappeared. A friend of mine says her milk tasted metallic
still over a year pp. She never took any iron supplements. She cooks
porridge for her baby in the mornings, using fresh EBM, and although
she says the porridge smells awful to her taste, her baby eats it
eagerly.

My personal experience is that when warming the frozen EBM very slowly
and with care, not too fast, not too hot, but preferably leave it
rather cool, the smell/taste is better. Sometimes I noticed that the
same patch of milk (from the same bag) tasted almost 'normal' when
cold, but when I continued warming, it easily became smelly. The baby
drank it anyway. This seems to work at least with avoiding/lessening
the soapy smell/taste, but I can't say if this had any help with
metallic taste or not, as at the time my milk still tasted metallic,
my baby was so small that I used to warm up the EBM. At one time he
refused frozen milk, but it went over pretty soon. (I pumped milk for
1,5 years while working, just recently stopped, and now noticed milk
supply is definitely going down. He reacts to cmp, and instead of EBM
he now gets organic oatmilk (oat, not goat :-) ) at the daycare.)

Sanna-Mari, mom to Rasmus 27 mo
a lay bf supporter (in a group)
Finland, Scandinavia