From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:29:40 +0000
Am in contact with a mother with severe back pain due to injury and
surgery, that has resulted in a permanent disability.  Baby delivered by
c-section at 32 weeks and locked into the NICU until reached 37 weeks.
In NICU staff asked her what medication she was on, and then called
Child Protection Services to request complete profile on her as a fit
mother before considering the return of baby and allowing her to feed
EBM, so baby has been on formula.  Despite medication being approved
throughout pregnancy etc

Mother has been pumping and dumping since, to build and maintain supply,
whilst going through hoops on both medication and prove she can take
care of baby with disabled back.  She has also developed a severe
infection in wound that required surgery to remove section of skin and
is looking at a 3 month heal.  Baby should be returned next week, when
she reaches 37 weeks.

Whilst they've investigated the risk component of each separate drug,
she'd feel better if more experienced professionals could advise on the
combined drug regime that's been decided, hence the post.  In her own
words, she's on...

"Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg once per day... they put me on this to keep
my blood pressure in check since it went thru the roof and they had to
deliver her. Thought I haven't had issues since then. I have been told
this is safe by my OB...

Hydrocodone -- which I did a lot of reading on, so I don't need research
on this on. I know that I can't if I can help it feed her within 90 mins
of taking the pill to reduce her exposure to it... and to watch her for
sleeping too much.

Oxycodone - which I am on currently instead of Hydrocodone, but if need
be can get back on Hydrocodone by the end of the week... I am not sure
what the stronger pain medicine would do to baby... So... I do need to
some answers if that is safe.

Synthroid 100 mcg... which is for my thyroid which is very safe...

and finally I am on a high powered anti-biotic which is done in 2
days... and then I think I am safe to start saving milk. I opted not to
save milk while on antibiotics since it can cause hearing and balance
issues in large doses... and didn't want to cause problems with baby
since she couldn't have the milk currently. So I think that is about
it... that we should be set with a bit of help on the Oxycodone and
Hydrochlorothiazide... and then once she is home... I have to transition
her to my breast... which I think I know how to do.... but any
suggestions are welcome..."

Any one have any suggestions on these drugs/better combos etc?

many thanks

Morgan Gallagher