From:
Sheila Angalet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:27:20 -0400
I'm posting this for someone who is not on Lact-Net. I have given her
information from the BREASTFEEDING ANSWERBOOK and it seems not to be enough.
If anyone can help her out with this mother it would be most appreciated.
directly to: Fran Toddle  - [log in to unmask]

This is the situation:
She has a mother of Egyptian descent who is "giving green breast milk -
almost spinach colored".  Mother is on no medications, normal breast exam and
is "afebrile". Mother repeatedly denies the use of any meds, special diets,
herbal/home remedies, "The breast milk is culture and guaiac negative".
 Mother denies using foods with green dyes, and eats very few green
vegetables. Mom has been pumping and freezing (pea green milk) for three
weeks.  The baby is premature and still remains hospitalized.

Fran has done some research on her own, and spoken to several "BF experts and
many neonatologists".  She says that while she understands light green color
could be from chlorophyll - she feels that the color she is seeing is too
intense for that reason.

While she originally posted to me that she would like to get this mother
breastfeeding, a subsequent post said that "the mother's breastmilk and serum
results are not coming back normal from our pathology department". The milk
is negative for blood. At this point, she says she cannot allow
breastfeeding.

Any thoughts? I've run out of ideas myself.

TIA!!!

Sheila Angalet
Edison, NJ