From:
LuAnn Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:21:24 -0400
To Julie,

I would caution anyone starting a program to guarantee 24/7 and carry a
pager as the only LC. Your enthusiasm is admirable, but down the line it may
be difficult for you to "back off" and not provide this comprehensive
service if you find it too all consuming. It might be wise to just offer
regular daily hours to start. Even if you have good intentions and desire to
cover during off hours, unless they are paying you "call time" and even if
they are, this IMHO is the fastest way to become overwhelmed in a hurry,
unless you have a very small hospital or breastfeeding rate.

Our warmline clearly states our daily hours of 7:30 till 4 PM. Even as the
largest hospital in the areas, we respect the need for all of our team
members to have down time, especially after a very busy workday. While we
have some evening hours, they are not consistent, so we then can book
consults on our terms.  We also provide La Leche League numbers to our
patients as a second reference. And of course they always have their PCP for
back up as well. Although they may not be the best source of advice you
can't always "do it all". Once you have established yourself as credible,
the referrals from PCP's will come as they are for the most part happy to
have someone to send these moms to, that have ongoing breastfeeding
concerns.

Just my .02,

LuAnn Smith RN,BSN,IBCLC
York, PA

P.S. All best wishes for your aspiring LC career!