From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:18:48 +0000
That this is perfectly normal behaviour and are there ways to help with
her exhaustion?  Can others take more load in housework and general care
around the house?  Is he at home, in which case can she naps when the
baby naps during the day?  If she's working outside the home, can she
and baby have a lovely long feed, resting in bed, with her feet up,
whilst someone else cooks dinner?

The issue is the Mum's exhaustion, not the baby's night waking.  Would
she consider mover the crib into the bedroom, or co-sleeping?  I'd be
exhausted too if I had to wake fully, schlep down the hall, settle a now
crying and awake baby, and then go back to settling to sleep myself!

She might like to know that this is normal behaviour, and most other
mothers who say baby 'sleeps all night' are just plain telling fibs -
and that's been researched (although I've never found the link.)

You could highlight the positives, that the night milk is fattier for
her little one, and she benefits from the boost to her supply from night
time feeding.  Would she benefit from seeing research that states both
how normal this is, and how there is no evidence at all that bed-sharing
increases night waking?

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detsleepthrough.html

http://www.llli.org/ba/Feb93.html

http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/articles/C.pdf