Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:46:51 EDT
In a message dated 4/28/99 9:07:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< At least in the early postpartum period, it is my impression that though
 everybody ASSUMES any latch pain is originating in the nipple, especially
 if there is visible damage to draw our focus, in REALITY, at least 50-75%
 of the pain experienced from latching comes not from the nipple itself
 but  from  the overdistended walls of the milk sinuses when the extra
 stress of compression is applied. The pain goes away after just several
 drops of milk are slowly and gently removed from each quadrant. >>
KJ,  excellent point and well-said.  Sometimes it's latch, sometimes it''s
distention maybe or both interacting...
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY