From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:50:33 -0500
Hi All,
Jay here with a funny I thought you'd all get a nice laugh with.  :)

OK, we all know that I am a CLE and I councel moms all the time with how to
BF their newborns.  And we all know how you have been such great mentors for
me.

Picture this:  (I am still laughing....)

45 minutes after Patricks birth, I am sitting on my couch for the first BF.
 For some reason I am all thumbs, can't hold Patrick in the correct position
(first he is lsnted down towards my hip, then when I finally manage to get
him nice and straight, his hips keep turning away from my body), can't figure
out how to hold the  breast right, and I keep pressing the breast away from
his nose with my thumb!
Here I am with all this knowledge in my head, and I was totally unable to use
it!  My friend (who is also one of my midwives and an LC)  was laughing with
me asking me what on earth was I doing???  Well, with her expert help, we
finally got Patrick on properly and that feed went well.
Next feed:
I am still so surprised at my ineptness with the first feed, I decide to
"counsel" myself through the feed like I would do with a mom over the phone!
 Hey, it worked!
BF is going very well now.  Patrick BF like a champ, and there is plenty of
milk here for both boys!  (now if I could judt get Ben to keep his tongue
over his bottom teeth....)
Anyway, I miss all of you, but had to share my funny with you.  I figured
you, of all folks, would enjoy it most of all!  Do you suppose that since I
had had no sleep in over 24 hrs that my brain was just dead, or what?
Thinking of you all!

Love Jay and Patrick