Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:37:17 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Veronica, I would have to disagree that Belorussian mothers are "in some way frightened into not breastfeeding." I never once heard a mother, a grandparent or a doctor mention anything about fear of contamination in breastmilk.

On the contrary, official lipservice declaring the value of breastmilk is heard from every corner.  You don't hear those comparisons of formula being "similar" to breastmilk or talk about choice in feeding like in the US.  Formula is only recommended as a solution to perceived insufficient milk supply -- which is *very* common.  The key barriers to breastfeeding in Belarus (and in Russia & Ukraine, as well) are the fear of "not enough milk", pervasive supplementation of water, tea & formula, and scheduled feedings.

Belorussians do talk about the bad ecology being one explanation for why so many women don't have enough milk.  But, in my years there, I frequently saw cases of hyperlactation (caused by over-zealous hand expression after every feeding, per dr.'s instructions), abut not a single case of true insufficient milk supply.  Because, as we all know, a baby fussing at the breast always = not enough milk.  *Sigh.*

But, fear of milk contamination from the radiation?  Never heard anyone say that in Belarus or in Ukraine.

One very well-known Belorussian 'mammologist' did tell me that breastfeeding "too long" causes cancer and other breast pathologies for mothers.

And, just to be clear, I am not saying that there were no effects of the radiation on women's health, or on the health of the nation and ecology.  I'm just not sure to what extent that is influencing the situation with breastfeeding today -- either in reality or in the perceptions of mothers.  I don't measure actual radiation levels, but I do have a pretty good idea of what people say & think & do, as I'm fluent enough to be able to speak to local women and I spend time with them regularly.

Theresa Yaroshevich, IBCLC
Living in Moscow and Minsk since 1994
Recently relocated to Kiev, Ukraine

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2