From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:43:21 +1000
Dear Marsha,
I'm sorry, I really didn't want you to be offended by what I said. I was not
just replying to your post which is why I didn't quote you even though I did
refer to your comment about Barry Ezzo. I also did not want to suggest that
you or anyone else would recommend his writings but several people had
suggested that they thought it was helpful to see products that mums are
using- the good, bad and ugly was the inference. Having someone like Barry
Ezzo there would be taking that to a logical conclusion- ugly or not mothers
buy it.

  Right?  I am offended by the inference that this is the same as inviting
him to come to a conference and set up a booth.
> There is not a one of us who would recommend his book or his method.

This is not directly in reply to your post but a general comment and some
questions based on much of what has been said in this conversation. I am not
a HCP, I do not work in a hospital or any other health care setting but I
read Lactnet and regularly (today included) I read frustrated people talking
about how formula reps have come to their workplace and wooed staff, given
them freebies and provided information about their product. They regularly
express dismay that their colleagues don't understand the implications of
what they are doing (and bear the costs themselves of being on their own
against the status quo). They also express their frustration at other
medical practitioners who accept funding, gifts, sponsorship from formula
manufacturers etc and  point at this and state that it is no wonder these
people are not supportive of breastfeeding- they have such a nice cosy
relationship with those working against it. They also state how they cannot
believe that these HCP can state that they are professionals and can take
from these companies without problems because they could not possibly be
influenced. They also say that they can weed the truth from the frills in
rep education.

The concerning thing is that I have read several people state similar things
on Lactnet. "we are professionals we are not influenced." (and I have no
idea who the people were who said this so please don't think I am targeting
anyone). I don't underststand, we're all people and if it didn't work they
wouldn't do it would they?
I also wonder how this makes those people who work hard in their workplace
to not take anything from reps etc... do they feel let down?

Karleen Gribble