Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:59:38 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
My own experience also led me to be a bit more sensitive to moms complaints of no sleep.  My first baby literally never slept more than 60-90 minutes at a time. Yes, we co-slept and eventually I was able to feel rested even when he nursed often at night, but in the beginning, it was overwhelming.  I did get to the breaking point and my dh came up with the solution (which I am not recommending, mind you, but just as an illustration).  I had a couple of small bottles of EBM in the freezer (mostly overflow from the intitial surge).  One day he came home with a six-pack of beer, sat me down in a chair and "made me" drink as many as I could over a few hours time (baby continued to nurse, mind you).  I finally went to bed, and slept for about 6-8 hours.  DH fed the baby EBM when he awoke (he also slept well for the first time - I wonder why).  Anyways, it only took that one long sleep to recharge my batteries and give me the perspective and energy to go on.  I try not to think about how many brain cells my son might have lost during that episode, although he grew to be quite gifted (so common with these "high-need babies") and I would do it differently today.  But when I can tell that a mom is in that zone, I do suggest a sleep-in with baby fed with EBM while mom sleeps.  I understand that there is risk of plugged ducts and such, but I think that the risk of mental and emotional breakdown is much more profound at that point.  Also, a mom in that situation is at risk of giving up breastfeeding entirely and going to formula-feeding so that she can get her needed rest.  Now my kids are grown, but working nights, I still get into that situation occasionally where I really haven't slept much at all for a few days and it still can get me into a rather crazed mental state - however, since this is usually of my own doing, my dh has little sympathy for me now.  I did have true PMS-induced monthly depression for several years, and that is not a place that anyone wants should be, especially a new mom, so I feel that avoiding a depressive state is very important.

Am enjoying the stories of no milk from our colleagues.  It helps us to remember that there for the grace of God go any of us.  So important to remember when we are tempted to pass judgement on others' decisions.  It is possible to continue striving for the ideal while still coping with grim reality - the latter does not diminish the former.
Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2