From:
Marie Schulte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:06:37 -0800
I enjoyed Arly's critique of the JADA article. I think we have to be very
careful about perpetuating the idea that certain foods "cause" colicky
behavior. Aside from dairy, I haven't seen much evidence that we should be
telling women to avoid certain categories of foods. Women in cultures that
breastfeed extensively  eat a wide variety of foods and spices that Americans
would "be careful" about. I had a woman call me for information about weaning
her 6 week old so that she could start eating Pizza "and stuff" again. She
never had a problem, she just assumed she couldn't eat normally while
nursing. I also got a call from a nurse at a clinic asking for LLL's official
nursing diet - "You know, that list of foods you can't eat when you're
nursing." I have also worked with a number of people who have cut so many
foods out of their diets that they feel terrible and still have a cranky
baby. Then they want to quit nursing because it is so difficult to stay on
"the diet". (Of course, they don't consider the problems caused by ABM until
weeks after they wean.) No wonder breastfeeding is perceived as difficult and
martyrly.

Breastfeeding is normal. We have to be careful not to contribute to the myth
that women have to follow rigid rules to breastfeed. I have been amazed by
the cultural myths women "have heard" or were told by their HCPs about "the
nursing diet".

Marie of WI LLLL & MOM