Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:41:17 -0500
Because herbals are not regulated, whatever it says on the bottle tells you
only what amount of fenugreek you are getting in the capsule.  But that
means nothing, because, what you want is the active ingredient(s) and that
may vary with soil conditions, sunlight, rain and all the rest of that.  So
forget it.  For the milk increasing effect, you need lots, more than you can
usually get from drinking tea unless you drink tea all day, and then the
mother will spend more time in the bathroom than breastfeeding.  I usually
prescribe 3 capsules three times a day, but Sheila Humphrey tells mothers, I
think she wrote this to me, to keep taking more until you smell of maple
syrup and then you have the right dose.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC