Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:27:33 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
Wow!  I just finished reading Susan's post and couldn't have said it better, myself.  I was a little
miffed at the division of the ABM conference, too.  I tried to put it in perspective; understand and
be happy that there was such an organization for physicians that are INTERESTED in lactation.  If
any out there have not been to an ABM conference, put on your list of things to do.  I attended the
one last Oct and learned so much.  But the interesting thing was that much of the subject matter
was repeated for the non-MD crowd.  We also sat in a different room from the MD's but I think it
was because of space problems at the venue.  Many of us are hungry for advanced learning in
lactation and attending the ABM meeting was an excellent opportunity (since the ILCA conf. was in
Sydney last year).  The field of lactation medicine is gaining acceptance in the medical community
but it has been slow.  Why can we not bridge the gap between LC & MD?  I agree that it is the
medical community culture that has been handed down via the MD/Nurse relationship.  But if we
are really trying to make life better for our families, we need to put some of that garbage behind
us.  Getting hung up on all that stuff is counter productive and we have difficulty fulfilling our
optimum potential if we are scared of what the doctor might say or do.  However, we must be
responsible and operate within the scope of evidence-based practice.  I firmly believe women have
the right of self referral for the services of a lactation concultant (insert: dietitian, psychiatrist,
personal trainer, etc.) as she sees necessary.
As far as the discussion of the floor nurses goes, I am dismayed.  I do not understand how a staff
can blatently ignore hospital policy and think it is OK. And why would a supervisor let it go?  As
Marsha Walker says, "What you permit, you promote."   Would they give a diabetic a candy bar just
because they wanted it and they felt sorry for them?  I worked nights in OB for a long time as a
new nurse and I know what goes on.  I hope this has changed but I suspect it still persists.
Sorry to run on but both these dicussions got my dander up.
Suzanne Bowes RN, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2