From:
Christina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 10:55:24 -0700
Lee and others,

I'm not sure about the truth of the HIV theory but I have heard that as
well.  HIV actually dies pretty quickly without a supportive host
environment.  It would stand to reason that if a baby did not get a bath for
6 or more hours, it would be highly unlikely that HIV would still be living
on the skin.

This is a study I have always loved.  (DISCLAIMER:  It's been a long time
since I posted on this site so I apologize in advance if it is not okay to
link things here.  If this is taboo, would someone just please gently remind
me?  Thank you!)

There are several study reviews on this page but if you scroll to the
bottom, there is a review on a study entitled, "Antimicrobial Properties of
Amniotic Fluid and Vernix Caseosa Are Similar to Those Found In Breast
Milk."  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1595247/

The above-linked study has been something I've carried around with me to
help convince other nurses that we are bathing too soon.  Nurses like
scientific data and as such, this has helped many come around to the idea of
delayed bathing.  As I mentioned in a separate post, we have finally
effected some change in policy on our unit because of it and because of
information the WHO booklet regarding infant thermoregulation!

Christina Harris, RN
Federal Way, WA