From:
Virginia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:13:49 +1000
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 Diane Wiessinger wrote:
This made me think of a cause/continuation of nipple-base cracks I haven't
seen in some years:  the mother whose nipple folds over inside a bra.  The
crease never dries and any crack that forms - for whatever reason - can't
heal.  Don't know why I no longer see it.  More bra-less-ness?

Diane,
     I used to see this regularly, nipples not healing because they were folded in.  I noticed that it was usually associated with the combination of *flat* breast pads worn inside bras that were a firm fit and had a rounded shape - the expensive ones that were then being recommended.  The cloth pads were bought from an organisation, not a regular shop, and were a consistent problem.  I started keeping a box or two of *shaped* disposable breast pads, so that I could give the mothers a pair to wear that day, to see the difference.  (I used two different brands, so as not to promote a particular brand.)
   As for the bra, most of the mothers were reluctant to get a larger bra, as they were so expensive, and I'd suggest they leave the bra cups open at home to take the pressure off and air the nipples.  Some mothers were willing to leave the bras off at home and support their breasts by wearing a loose T-shirt, tied in a knot under the breasts.  This got the pressure off the nipple.
   Like you, I noticed this problem several years ago.  I haven't noticed anyone wearing *flat* breast pads lately, and I'm not surprised as I believe they were causal, espec if the bra was a very firm fit or tight.
    Virginia (in fine, sunny Brisbane)