From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:55:48 EST
One of the nurses in our healthcare system contacted me to ask if there were any dangers in mixing and administering chemotherapy drugs while she was breastfeeding.  She was taken off this duty while she was pregnant.  I couldn't find the answer in the books I have, nor could I find an opinion when I searched the Lactnet archives.  So I figured it must not be an issue, but suggested she ask the head of our pharmacy department (whose recently deceased wife was an IBCLC).  To my surprise, he said that she should NOT be handling, mixing or administering these drugs.  Is this really the case?

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
Appleton, Wisconsin