Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:02:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (45 lines)
Teresa has covered most of my thoughts. I agree that the weight on day four does not appear to be correct. Since it was likely done at a different location (pedi office?) it could have been done with the diaper on, or just misread. The current weight sounds reasonable. The bili sounds a bit on the higher side but not anything to worry about at this stage of the game. I'd like to know how many pees and stools specifically ( 4 credit card size yellow seedy per day?) because I've been misled by people saying " enough" or " normal" before. I agree with Teresa about having mom try the laid-back Breastfeeding position and see what happens. I am concerned about the pumping, because she is setting herself up for an oversupply type of situation where the baby will try to clamp down to slow the flow of milk. Just saying....

Gail Hertz
[log in to unmask]

On Jan 28, 2013, at 6:17 PM, TERESA PITMAN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> My thoughts would be: that 8 lb. 2 ounce weight on day 4 was a mistake. Scales were off, or it was misread. It is pretty unusual for a baby to be 3 ounces over birthweight on day 4. If that weight is ignored, and you assume the normal weight loss, being 3 ounces over birthweight at 2 weeks is not too bad! 
> 
> Would she be willing to try the laid-back position in hopes of improving the baby's latching, which is what I think the problem is? I'd really be focused on getting a better latch, since the mom clearly has plenty of milk.
> 
> Teresa Pitman
> 
> 
> Please let me run the basics past you-all and see what I might be missing. Permission to Post: Mother is bfdg her 2week old girl, second time breastfeeding. Hospital birth, but completely natural with no meds.  Baby weighed 7/15 at birth, and 8/2, 4 days later.  She was complaining about nipple pain from the very beginning, her nipples both looked a bit pinched. [She has a brother with a minor tongue tie, which was never fixed.  She breastfed him for 11 mo].  The 2wk old does have enough soiled and wet diapers.  The Pedi says the bili is still a ittle high (13 I think) and wants mom to bring baby for weight checks frequently because the weight gain has leveled off.  It was still 8/2 on Friday, which was at 2 wks.
> 
>   She states one side (L) especially  is distorted in a strange way: where the edges of the nipple core are sort of elevated when baby comes off.  I have seen this before, but I don't remember understanding the cause. She says pain is a "little" better than it was two weeks ago but it still hurts.  She saw the Pedi dentist with this baby at about 1 wk and dentist said no TT.  Pedi Dentist said problem is "strong suction".
> 
> I checked positioning, baby's "wide open gape", stool & urine count (good), milk is easy to express by hand.  Mom is able to feed for about 30 minutes in football only and she can still pump +- 2 oz after the feeding. (She wants to do that, not my idea).
> 
> What am I missing??? Help!
> Isabella
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2