From:
MARLA NEWMARK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 14:02:24 -0400
Does anyone have any references, graph or anything that discusses weight loss in the first week of life.  We have MANY babies that loose greater than 5% of birth weight in the first 24-30 hours of life.  Then within the next 24 hours they loose an addition 3-4% making the total well over 8-9%.  And then of course the scenario goes that babies quickly get supplemented, parents panic that they are starving their baby, "no milk", etc.

Sometimes artificially fed babies also loose a lot, but they are just with more and quickly regain weight.

My hope that someone has done some research that tells us to disregard initial weight or something else equally profound.  (I am a dreamer I guess.)  Needless, to add I have no problems encouraging supplements (especially at breast) and/or pumping if baby is not breastfeeding well on observation.

Thank you,
Marla, MOM, IBCLC, RN, BSN

This email may contain confidential protected health information and/or proprietary information belonging to the sender that is legally privileged under local, state, or federal law. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or individuals who have received this. The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party unless required to do so by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately to arrange for the disposal of this information.