From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 20:14:07 -0500
In my childbirth classes I suggest to my students that Dad offer to go with
baby for the hearing test. He lets baby suck his finger during the
test.  The couples say later that no one at the hospital minded at
all.  They just wanted the baby quiet.

I also suggest that Dad go with baby for the blood tests for the same
"assistance."  In fact, I suggest that baby never be out of the presence of
one or other of the parents.

Star, I don't know what my suggestion would sound like coming from the
hospital staff--a bit different from a Dad making the request.

It would be interesting to see the statistics on the results of these
tests. Also what followup is done in the first month of the infant's
life.  Seems as if the hearing assessment could be done at a later date
without adding another reason to separate mother and her newborn baby.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]