From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:43:12 -0500
Nancy Mohrbacher and Kathy Kendall-Tackett have a new book out: Breastfeeding Made Simple.  I don't *think* anyone's talked about it on lactnet yet.  They start with 7 "natural laws":

1.  Babies are hard-wired to breastfeed
2.  Mother's body is baby's natural habitat
3.  Better feel and flow happen in the comfort zone
4.  More breastfeeding at first means more milk later
5.  Every breastfeeding couple has its own rhythm
6.  More milk out equals more milk made.
7.  Children wean naturally.

The idea is to start with really broad principles, then explain what they mean in practical terms, and what happens when we try to counter them.  I think of it as sort of the opposite of the typical book approach, which is to try to explain baby behavior without putting it in a wider biological framework.  When you understand that mother's body is baby's natural habitat, for instance, and you realize that that's a basic primate law, not something the breastfeeding proponents made up, suddenly those AAP SIDS guidelines sound a little... well, out of touch with reality.

I just love this top-down approach, and parents really seem to "get it" too.  This is an immature but competent mammal they're holding, not some extra-terrestrial creature that didn't come with an instruction book!

The book includes Nils Bergman's work, they have latch thoughts from Tina Smillie, Rebecca Glover, Cathy Genna and others.  And if you want a little snippet of animated latch video at your fingertips, www.breastfeedingmadesimple.com has one that's maybe 4 seconds long and repeats over and over and over and over and over...

Baby humans are baby mammals.  Who'd a thought!

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com