From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 21:57:01 EDT
Cyndi writes: "Does that person gown , mask and glove for any preparation of
breastmilk? This is becoming the practice in our NICU seemingly overnite
and the nurses are rebeling and wanting my input ( I was not made aware of
this new practice). I didn't have level 3 experience before coming here so
I would love to know if these precautions are something most NICUs
undertake or are they extreme? One nurse told me they had to gown and glove
because the breastmilk was "sterile."

First of all breastmilk is not sterile. And why don't they gown, glove and
mask to prepare formula? There is absolutely no rationale for doing this and I
have never heard of it. Each nurse in our NICU prepares the breastmilk for her
own patients without gown, gloves, or masks. The nurses should be rebelling.
Who came up with this practice?

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC