From:
kelly valceanu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:59:33 -0500
the u.s. has 24 states that have non-nurse licensed midwives, or LM's. see
below...kelly v, apprentice midwife

A direct-entry midwife is educated in the discipline of midwifery in a
program or path that does not also require her to become educated as a
nurse. Direct-entry midwives learn midwifery through self-study,
apprenticeship, a midwifery school, or a college- or university-based
program distinct from the discipline of nursing. A direct-entry midwife is
trained to provide the Midwives Model of Care to healthy women and newborns
throughout the childbearing cycle primarily in out-of-hospital settings.
Under the umbrella of "direct-entry midwife" are several types of midwives:

A Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) is a knowledgeable, skilled and
professional independent midwifery practitioner who has met the standards
for certification set by the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) and
is qualified to provide the midwives model of care. The CPM is the only
international credential that requires knowledge about and experience in
out-of-hospital settings. At present, there are approximately 900 CPMs
practicing in the US.

A Licensed Midwife is a midwife who is licensed to practice in a particular
state. Currently, licensure for direct-entry midwives is available in 24
states.

The term "Lay Midwife" has been used to designate an uncertified or
unlicensed midwife who was educated through informal routes such as
self-study or apprenticeship rather than through a formal program. This term
does not necessarily mean a low level of education, just that the midwife
either chose not to become certified or licensed, or there was no
certification available for her type of education (as was the fact before
the Certified Professional Midwife credential was available). Other similar
terms to describe uncertified or unlicensed midwives are traditional
midwife, traditional birth attendant, granny midwife and independent
midwife.

The American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) also provides accreditation to
non-nurse midwife programs, as well as colleges that graduate
nurse-midwives. This credential, called the Certified Midwife, is currently
recognized in only three states (New York, New Jersey, and Rhode Island).
All CMs must pass the same certifying exam administered by the American
Midwifery Certification Board for CNMs. At present, there are approximately
50 CMs practicing in the US.