From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:28:56 EDT
I know there is much controversy over weighing babies too much but I need
some data.  We are told that newborns can loss up to 10% of their birth  weight,
usually this occurs by day 3 of life.  At about day 4 they  stabilize their
weight and than start gaining by day 5, with an average weight  gain of 0.5-1.0
ounces/day, returning to birth weight by 2 weeks of age.
My question is how much could a newborn loss in the first 24 hours of  life?
Since they are not looking for much intake at that time (average  intake of
newborn in first 24 hours is 30 ml), they are taking very little in  calories.
I know there is probably a range on what the normal loss would be in the
first 24 hours and I am looking to this group to see if there is any data that
gives this information.
Lately I have had some issues with babies being weighed incorrectly and
marking down weight losses of anywhere from 10-17% in the first 24 hours of life
(or even less than 24 hours old).
Personally, I would love to throw out all this weighing but I do not have
the power to do that so instead I am trying to bring the science of the
physiology on normal weight loss of a newborn.
Thanks for any help you can offer me.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA