Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:11:04 -0500
 Dear Colleagues,
I have permission to post. I have a client whose baby is now 8 weeks. Baby had a posterior tongue-tie that was clipped a week ago. Mom has a low milk supply--has since the beginning. While this would normally have an impact on baby's willingness to be at breast, I am not sure it is as significant in this case. The baby takes 1-1.25 hours to take 4 oz from a bottle. He simply does a little chewing motion on the end of the nipple. She is currently using the NaturalLatch. With such long feedings, mom is exhausted and baby takes very short naps--mom has little time to pump and is only managing 6X per day--2 oz per pumping. (She found no improvement with the Medela Classic--is using domperidone and herbs). Mom does not use a pacifier, but I have instructed her to use one as a tug-o-war device to encourage him to learn to hold onto the nipple. When he goes to breast, which he is still quite eager to do most of the time, he licks a lot and has a very difficult time organizing. He does not organize on a finger either. Baby is currently receiving
CST and has extreme tension in his occiput and has a very strong
preference for turning his head to the right. I am considering suggesting she get a neuro referral, but am hoping someone here has another idea, including whether we should try a different bottle. I know bottles have been discussed a lot, but what this baby does makes me very unclear as to which might be helpful. I am thinking maybe a Haberman.? BTW, mom has had the very best success with latch with baby in the tub. Mom is very stressed, very emotional about the situation, but is so devoted to her baby and really wants to feed him at breast, but has given herself a deadline of the end of the month as she will be going abroad then.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC