Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:43:13 -0500
 Tara writes:

"If the baby is 12 months old, why won't she give the baby a cup?"

I agree that this would be the easiest solution. I cannot imagine being pregnant and bothering with a supplementer
either, but I do understand mom's concern as this is a very young baby to be weaning.

I surely wouldn't bother with an SNS for a 12 month old.  The baby can nurse
when he likes, but take a cup if he's thirsty or with meals.  She can do
cow's milk, soy milk, rice milk, or water in the cup.

"In my strong opinion, as the mother of a nut-allergic child, I would stay
away from almond milk, as it is recommended that children not be introduced
to nuts under the age of two.  (Almond milk is generally just made from
ground almonds with water added)."

I do, however disagree with this suggestion. Cow milk allergy is the single most common recognized allergen among
Americans (gluten may not be far behind) and while it is likely that this mom has exposed her child to cow milk
through her own diet, that does not mean that direct feeding to the child is a good idea. I would much prefer to see
the mom just skip the feeding of any milk other than her own and let the baby wean, continue feeding or pick up again after
birth as just happens, but if she feels the need to feed a milk I would rather see her use almond than cow or soy,
both with inherent risks for chronic disease. I do agree that nuts are best left for after the second year in general, but
almonds are a fruit, not a nut and many with allergies to certain nuts can eat others just fine. I used thinly spread raw almond
butter for my kids after the first year and they all did well with it. Personally, I would suggest hemp milk if she really wants a
better choice. IMO, the only reason that parents are told to delay nuts and not cow milk is that the cow milk lobby is so
powerful--it is not good science, nor good nutrition in any way to advocate the feeding of cow milk to children. It's just a
combination of common practice, the fact that many adults themselves are addicted to it, poor nutritional education, lots of
marketing and huge government support.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC