From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:28:37 -0400
Here's a quote from "Closing the Gap", a newsletter of the Office of Minority
Health:(published by the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of
Minority Health Resource Center, POB 37337, Washington, DC 20013-7337):

HOME VISITS BENEFIT MOTHERS IN DELAWARE

Like most teenagers, Chantel Lum, 17,didn't know anything about prenatal care
or raising children when she discovered she was pregnant. "It was a little
scary," she said, "and things would have been a lot different if the nurses
hadn't come around."
A public health nurse visited Chantel at home before her baby was born as
part of a Medicaid-funded program that provides education and case management
to pregnant residents of Delaware.
"The nurse told me when I developed high blood pressure", Chantel said,
"which I never would have known." She also showed Chantel videos on changing
diapers and bottle feeding.
A home health care nurse visited Chantel within 48 hours after she delivered
her baby.  This nurse was a part of a new HOme Visiting program, which
started out providing home visits to first-time parents in the mostly African
American Enterprise Community in Wilimington.  The visits are geared to check
on the health of both the mother and infant after release from the hospital,
and to connect parents with ongoing child services as needed....[the
community needs to stay]focused on the main idea-that babies are more likely
to be healthy when their parents are armed with the knowledge and support
they need to be the best parents they can be. Perhaps Chantel's baby, now a
healthy one year old, is the best kind of proof that the program works."

This program is offered free and available to new mothers regardless of
insurance status by the Delaware Health and Social Services Division of
Public Health.

Comments, anyone??? Imagine what happened to MY blood pressure as I read
this! Oh, and guess what, when I was 17 I knew lots about raising children,
having been raised in a family of 5 kids and having done lots of babysitting,
why the assumption that 17 year olds don't know anything about children? I
think that in the zeal to make a point,  absurdities will abound.IMHO.

Pearl Shifer, IBCLC