Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:58:48 -0600
Just thinking on the keyboard here, but I seem to recall from Pharmacology
class, waaaay back in med school, that synthetic hormones bind at the same
receptor sites that the natural ones do.  (Thus the reason that synthetic
estrogen after menopause prevents osteoporosis, etc.)  So perhaps it's not
the level of the hormone, or whether it's even the natural hormone that's
bound, but that any progestin binds at those receptors, that causes the
effect, i.e. the breasts are "fooled" into thinking that mom is still
pregnant because the progesterone receptors are bound with "something."

Becky Saenz, MD, IBCLC