Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:44:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Hello all!
I missed the show Marsha Glass mentioned earlier about the Bengal tigers being raised by humans, but wanted to tell you about something I use as a visual aid at some of the LLL meetings I conduct.  It's a photo from National Geographic's kid magazine called "World".  (Sept 1998 issue). There's an article about orphaned elephants.  Some of the points I highlighted include "In an elephant herd, a baby is never, ever left alone.  The baby nurses often, and its mother constantly carresses it." Later in the article there's a photo of a grown man sleeping beside a baby elephant with the caption "Zoe and Saya bed down for the night.  Young elephants need constant company to feel secure, EVEN WHEN THEY'RE ASLEEP!"  I just love that photo!  Sometimes one picture really is worth a thousand words!
    It is frustrating that moms come to me apologizing for sleeping with their babies.  When I show them that they might've become "famous" in a magazine if only they had slept with an elephant baby instead, they get a good laugh!

Jenny, in Charleston, WV where I think we've fast-forwarded to August!  88º today!

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2