From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:02:08 -0400
Morgan wrote:
>Who had no intervention whatsoever, and had a breastfeeding baby before the
umbilical was cut - even as a morbidly obese geriatic prima gravida who was
induced at 38 weeks due to pre-eclampsia, and had an epidural to boot!  At
43 years old... had I listened to the literature (which I hadn't read at the
time ) I would have known that everything was against me.  Luckily, my baby
knew what to do.  Literally, as I now know to call what happened as a Baby
Led Latching... a phrase I've only recently learned.  Still nursing my now
26 month old...<

YES!
I am absolutely convinced that breastfeeding, like sex, is 90% in the brain.

Sure, there can be problems, but more often than not, it is the
mother's confidence in her own ability to nurse that is the deciding
factor.

This reminds me of a mother I saw awhile back who came to get help
with a positioning concern. After we fixed the latch - really, just a
tiny adjustment - I mentioned noticing her completely inverted nipples
and scars from breast reduction surgery. She was very casual about
these factors because in her eyes they had never been a problem. Her
surgeon had reassured her that she would be able to produce milk, so
she never worried about it and in fact, her baby was chubby and
healthy.
(This is not to say that other BFAR mothers may not have problems, and
of course they should all be made aware of which signs to watch for to
make sure their babies are thriving.)

Convincing mothers that breastfeeding is normal newborn behaviour is
one of our most important roles. Convincing others wouldn't hurt
either!

norma