From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:47:22 -0700
I am reading this thread on foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and have yet another question for you experienced people out there who work with preemies. Once in a while in the 4 months I have worked with these little ones, a baby has residuals  and/or loose stools from the breastmilk feeding (either by NG or at breast) The staff here ALWAYS starts with asking the mom what she is eating or meds she is taking. The popular theory is that it is the stool softeners she is taking. We have a baby right now who had been having constant residuals with the HM feedings, so the nurse said, "let me try some formula", and guess what - residuals stopped. now the neonatologist is suggesting the baby just get formula for a few days to see if it is really the breastmilk causing all of the problem.

I just wonder if it might not be that the baby is getting a bottle with lots of foremilk in it. Would that cause residuals?

THANK YOU to all of you who help me so much,

Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC