From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:43:35 EST
In a message dated 3/28/0 4:20:38 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< We owe it to our clients

to tell them the truth...their baby will survive..breastfeeding gives

immense benefit...I think of it like I do running and lifelong aerobic

exercise.  I keep running because I am healthier for it. I love it... I'll

have less illness, probably am smarter because of it, less cancer etc. all

the many benefits of an active life but I still see many people who would

never even consider exercise, heaven forbid they sweat, and probably many of

them will live as long or longer then I will.  Is this a fair analogy...I

don't know...but it helps me. >>

I think this *is* a fair analogy. You and your counterpart, who does not
exercise, may both survive to the same age, but I bet *you* will have the
better quality of life. IMO, your counterpart needs to be informed of the
hazards of a sedentary life, just as the mother needs to know the hazards of
artificial feeding. I have noticed that it often takes something life-threaten
ing (like a heart attack, for example), to motivate adults to exercise and
modify their diets. These same people probably did not respond to the vague
promise of better health before such an incident. The biggest gap in your
analogy, as I see it, is the adult can access information, and make choices,
while the infant cannot. This makes it more imperative, IMO, to educate
parents.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA