From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:56:34 -0600
Has anyone considered this pump controversy from the point of engineers
and manufacturing?  Manufacturing has changed and also appliances and
every other thing.  More digitized, computerized, lighter, sturdier in
some ways, individualized etc.  Remember that breast pumps were designed
like milking machines - basically just slight modifications.  No one
ever started from the ground up before.  I think it was a good idea for
someone to ask for basic research to be done and it's findings applied
to pumps.  I think it's good to have pumps programmable so they fit the
individual.  Classics are lovely, but they are too heavy, they are
material intensive, expensive and not efficient in terms of mechanics
and usage of power.  Would you want to go back to the Model T?  And
let's face it - it really is better for us as humans to grow our own
food, walk everywhere, live in close-knit communities.  But is that
going to ever happen again?  Not in my lifetime.  So, we need to ask
about what research is done.  WE need to compare breast pumps - not to
each other, really but to the baby.  They need to be tested in the tough
circumstances and good studies done.  But resistance to change won't
affect the fact that change will happen.
I FOUGHT hard to keep my old gas stove - but it finally bit the dust.  I
bought a new accubake convection oven - and guess what?  My homemade
bread is wonderful, my cooking time is dependable, the heat is even.  I
love it.  I kept my gas cooktop though.  I love hand-kneading bread too,
but my arthritis doesn't like it any more, so I use a commercial machine
to help with the kneading.
Just some food for thought!