From:
Ellen Bouillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:09:54 -0500
My name is Ellen and  I also work in a large hospital here in Indiana.
We also do follow up calls to all our breast-feeding patients at around
4-7 days postpartum.  When I first got this position, we were keeping
records for ourselves but not sending anything to medical records.  We
didn't think there was anything wrong with this.  Boy were we wrong.
When my colleague met with our director and the person over our forms
area to develop a new form, she said that we really should be sending a
copy of all our followup calls and phone calls in to medical records.
We now have a carbon copy form that we fill out on every patient we see.
 It has all pertinent history and delivery information on it.  After we
make our follow up call,  we keep the form for 30 days then send a copy
to medical records.  The other copy we keep in our files for a year and
then shred them.    The calls we made before we initiated this form we
have to keep in our files for 21 years.  It makes much more sense to let
medical records store them than for us to.  As far as phone calls in, if
they didn't deliver here, we fill out a form as best we can and hold on
to it as long as needed.  I hope this information is what you are
looking for.

     Sincerely,

      Ellen Bouillon R. N.,IBCLC